Friday, February 11, 2011

Dog Days

I'm so sorry that I've been away for so long! I will only present one of my excuses (carefully selected from a long list):
Two of my dogs got into a fight! Oh no! Alas, it's true. Kif (one of my two dogs) and Wash (one of my parents' two boxers) got into a scuffle while we were all playing in the backyard.

Wash (back) and Kif (front) seen here in better times.
In case you ever witness a dog fight, here are some tips:
DO NOT put your hands in between them or try to grab them. They are only focused on the fight, and they WILL bite you.
DO try to break up the focus of the fight WITHOUT direct contact, preferably long-distance. For example, use a water hose on a high pressure, or water balloons.

I tried using a plastic lawn chair to break them up, but it was probably too light to do anything. As bad as this sounds, a metal chair would probably have worked better. I used to work at an animal clinic, and clients once brought in their brittany spaniel that had been attacked by a mastiff. They told us they had to hit them metal pipes to get them apart. It is pretty amazing that even that worked, and that the brittany was alive, considering the ferocity and strength of a mastiff.
P.S. The brittany is fully recovered and happy again.

Kif disengaged first, possibly in part because my mother managed to grab Wash's collar (not advised). Neither dog was seriously hurt, although each of them got some staples and stitches. We reintroduced them the next day, with water hoses ready, but they are getting along fine now, although Wash is clearly dominant.

And yes, Kif and Wash are strange names. They are both from different television shows.
 
Kif Kroker of TV series "Futurama"



Hoban "Wash" Washburn of TV series "Firefly"


2 comments:

  1. You have a very good point on NOT sticking your hands in the middle of a dog fight. Our mother did that once with our Bullmastiffs and ended up in the emergency room with stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your site through another urban nature blog! Great post (love the latest about the baby racoons saved) and had to laugh when I saw the picture of Wash - loved firefly!

    dandelionsandconcrete.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete